November 30, 2011
Manufacturers of pre-finished hardwood floors recommend their specific products for the best care. Floors with a polyurethane finish should never be waxed and require cleaners that won’t leave a film or residue. If occasional scuffs occur use a hardwood floor cleaner and lightly rub the stained area. Sticky spots can be cleaned with a damp towel. Ammonia cleaners or oil soaps are not recommended because they will dull the finish. These products will also affect the ability to refinish your floor later.
Sweeping and Mopping
Sweep your floor regularly using a quality broom. A vacuum cleaner without a bar can be used in hard to reach areas. Once the dirt and dust is gone you can begin mopping.
For “finish in place” hardwood floors or unfinished hardwood, use a terrycloth mop to make it easier to clean around corners and along baseboards. You can spray a professional wood floor cleaner to remove tough stains without dulling your finish. Never wet-mop or use an excessive amount of water to clean your floor. Excessive amounts of water will cause the wood to swell and may cause your wood to crack. Hardwood will expand and contract due to moisture level changes. It is very important to keep the moisture level in your home at the proper place during the different seasons to control this same issue. A humidifier is very important to run in the winter months and air conditioning in the summer months to control the levels of humidity in your home. Also, if spills occur be sure to wipe them up immedialtly.
We hope these tips help in keeping your hardwood floors beautiful for many years. If you are interested in adding hardwood floors please contact Modern Homes Builders and Remodelers located in Lake Villa at 847.356.8886.
August 2, 2010
Thinking about upgrading you kitchen or bath? Want an quality cabinet and an great incentive. This promotion is for a limited time only. Modern Homes has installed Mid Continent Cabinetry for over 30 year and they have never offered an incentive like this.
New promotions and details are as follows below:
- Eight Select Decorative Doors @ 15% OFF
- Free Glaze on 17 Full Overlay doorstyles – a 15% savings
- Six Solid Wood Panel door styles at 5% OFF
- All Plywood Construction option at 33% OFF on 17 Doorstyles
Promotions can be combined. Cabinet must be ordered prior to offer ends. See office for full details.
January 27, 2010
Remodeling a kitchen requires more education and decision-making than any other project in your home. The design process begins with the layout, and planning continues with many more decisions to be made!
1. Use a professional kitchen designer to help plan and create your new kitchen atmosphere from layout, to lighting, to product selections and finishes.
2. The most commonly-used traffic path is between the refrigerator and the main sink. Plan easily-accessible counter space between the refrigerator and the sink for washing and preparation of food.
3. Locate the microwave oven near the refrigerator and in a wall cabinet or tall oven cabinet, rather than on a counter.
4. Double or single pull-out trash containers are great for trash, recycle materials, pet food, and bulk foods.
5. Pantries don’t have to be closets! Beautiful and efficient cabinet pantry storage is 12″-18″ deep. Wall, base, or tall cabinets and can be designed to look like a pantry hutch or cupboard, or used to create pantry storage at the back of an island or peninsula. Base cabinets 21″-24″ deep with adjustable roll-out shelves increase the amount of base pantry storage.
For more tips on remodeling your kitchen please contact Modern Homes Builders & Remodelers at 847-356-8886.